Hurricane Dorian has struck the Bahamas with a severe storm surge that has killed dozens of people and left hundreds missing. Dorian's storm surge could be the highest on record in the Bahamas and in the top three on record in the Caribbean basin. Our science team is investigating the data...
Hurricane Dorian damage on Grand Bahama Island. Photo courtesy Ramon Espinosa/ AP and Orlando Sentinel.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Dorian inflicted 51 fatalities and 1,300 people are still missing as of September 19. Such catastrophic numbers suggest the storm surge exceeded 15 feet, as severe salt water flooding was likely responsible for most of the deaths.
Data-Driven Flood Risk Analysis
U-Surge provides the first data-driven coastal flood risk analysis for communities from Texas to Maine. Check out this PBS Newshour documentary that features U-Surge and the importance of data-driven flood risk analysis.
Sample City Data
U-Surge provides the following innovations:
- First comprehensive storm surge dataset for coastal cities
- Conversions to a common datum for analysis
- Analytical tools to determine extreme water levels
- Mapping tools for spatial analysis of coastal flooding
- Combined storm surge + sea-level rise analysis
- CLICK on the map above to see a sample city (South Padre Island, Texas)